2007-11-15 10:28:25 +0000
I like living on the edge with RSpec. It actually is not so bad. Every week or so I do an update on the trunk, but this is a few steps that should be automated, this is how you do it.
The steps involved are:
- Get the latest copy of the RSpec trunk
- Build the gem
- Install the gem
- Install the latest Textmate bundle
This is something perfectly suited to a shell script.
Thanks go to Ashley Moran for giving me the idea to write this blog entry on the RSpec mailing list.
So, this is how I set it up and then do it.
- Make a directory where you are going to keep your source tree for RSpec, I keep mine in “Ruby Programs”
- Then check out the RSpec trunk into this directory
- Next step is to remove any other version of the RSpec.tmbundle you might have on your computer, you should check the following areas:
- Now we have a directory tree, lets make a shell script to handle the work
- You can save the above code in your home directory, call it RSpec_update.sh, you also need to make it executable by doing the following:
- Now run the command, watch the text fly by, enter your password where needed and you would have updated your RSpec bundle, gem and docs all in one swoop!
baci:~ mikel$ mkdir ruby_programs
baci:~ mikel$ cd ruby_programs baci: mikel$ svn co http://rspec.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/RSpec
~/Library/Application\ Support/TextMate/Bundles/ ~/Library/Application\ Support/TextMate/Pristine\ Copy/Bundles/ /Library/Application\ Support/TextMate/Bundles/ /Library/Application\ Support/TextMate/Pristine\ Copy/Bundles/
In your favorite editor, type the following:
#!/usr/bin/env sh cd ~/ruby_programs/rspec/rspec/ rake clobber rake package sudo gem install pkg/*.gem
As a note, prefixing a path with ”~” is shorthand to insert the path to your home directory, which in my case is /Users/mikel/
chmod 775 ~/RSpec_update.sh
- Rails Security Alert
- Encrypting Another Partition Using FileVault 2 on OSX Lion
- Installing Home Folder on Second Drive on OSX Lion
- undefined local variable or method `version_requirements'
- A New World of Resources
- Rails Static Pages
- Twitter Replacing Rails? So?
- Engine Yard Cloud Backups Generating Zero Length Backups
- Our Rails Rumble Entry - StillAlive.com
- Renaming a controller and redirection in Rails 3
- Updating RailsPlugins.org to Rails 3 - Part 1
- A new protocol for social interaction
- What is a distributed social network?
- Bundler and Public Git Sources
- Getting Heroku, memcached and Rails 3 working
- Why Bundler?
- Rails Commit Access
- Introducing TellThemWhen
- rake RSpec & Cucumber uninitialized constant Rails::Boot::Bundler
- This Relationship is Worth Nothing
- Thank YOU...
- Inline Attachments for ActionMailer
- Upgrading RailsPlugins.org to Rails 3 - Part 1
- Stripping dollar signs and commas from a string
- Getting Rails 3 Edge with jQuery, RSpec and Cucumber using RVM
- Action Mailer, go Proc thyself
- The Real News Donation Drive
- ActionMailer ScreenCast and Article
- Installing RSpec for Rails 3
- I am speaking at RailsConf 2010
- Rails 3 Session Secret and Session Store
- If you're lazy and you know it write your specs!
- Bundler - uninitialized constant ActionController
- Bundle Me Some Sanity
- How to use Mail / ActionMailer 3 with GMail SMTP
- Put your mailer where the action is!
- Why Force a Choice?
- How to make an RSS feed in Rails
- Rails 3 Routing with Rack
- Bundle me some Rails
- Helping out in Haiti
- Watch your self
- Is Rails 3.0 a Game Changer?
- Where did the scripts go?
- validates :rails_3, :awesome => true
- New Rails Version 3.0 Guides Online
- New ActionMailer API in Rails 3.0
- Mail gem version 2 released
- How to rename a Rails 3 Application
- Rails 3.0 Examples
- November 2009 (1)
- October 2009 (2)
- September 2009 (2)
- August 2009 (0)
- July 2009 (1)
- June 2009 (0)
- May 2009 (1)
- April 2009 (0)
- March 2009 (0)
- February 2009 (0)
- January 2009 (2)
- December 2008 (0)
- November 2008 (5)
- October 2008 (0)
- September 2008 (1)
- August 2008 (0)
- July 2008 (2)
- June 2008 (13)
- May 2008 (7)
- April 2008 (18)
- March 2008 (8)
- February 2008 (5)
- January 2008 (7)
- December 2007 (20)
- November 2007 (22)