Today I upgraded the SVN on my server for 1.4.3 to 1.4.5 and got this strange error:

svn:/usr/lib/libpthread.so.6.3: /usr/lib/libpthread.so.7.0 : WARNING: symbol(_thread_kern_thread) size mismatch, relink your program

How RUDE!

I spent a while googling around and found nothing that even remotely handled the problem.

So in the end… I resorted to the final, desperate measure.

Yes…

I did it.

I actually READ the error message??!

I know… it’s radical! Sort of strange, and something I shouldn’t hide in the closet, but really, it worked!

You see, the problem is SVN was complaining about libthread.so

The only thing I knew of on my server that was needing a link into SVN via a module was Apache.

So, I restarted Apache and sure enough, SAME error!

Ah Ha!

Now I was down to something to do with Apache and SVN that was out of step with each other. At this point it became a bit of a no brainer, just re-compile Apache.

Like any good sysadmin, I keep any source tree around that I have compiled into my system with the saved ./configure still left in there. So doing this was as simple as:

# cd /usr/local/src/httpd-2.2.3
# make clean
# make
# make install

Once I finished that, I rebuilt SVN and installed (with the same method) and now everything works.

Handy.

blogLater

Mikel