2007-12-09 04:41:00 +0000
This is a fun little exception in Ruby that you have to catch explicitly in order to get hold of it in a rescue block.
Say you had the following:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
require 'net/pop3' begin Net::POP3.auth_only(@server, @port, @username, @password) rescue => e write_error_to_logfile(e) do_something_sensible end
And the mail server could not be reached due to transient network problems -> that is, you are getting a socket timeout error.
Well, your code in the rescue block won’t get executed! Even though the script raises an Error!
Why is this?
Simple answer, because Timeout::Error is not a subclass of StandardError, it is a subclass of the Interrupt class.
So, that means you have to catch it explicitly, like so:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
require 'net/pop3' begin Net::POP3.auth_only(@server, @port, @username, @password) rescue => e write_error_to_logfile(e) do_something_sensible rescue Timeout::Error => e write_error_to_logfile(e) do_something_sensible_for_timeout end
And all will be good again, error caught!
- Rails Security Alert
- Encrypting Another Partition Using FileVault 2 on OSX Lion
- Installing Home Folder on Second Drive on OSX Lion
- undefined local variable or method `version_requirements'
- A New World of Resources
- Rails Static Pages
- Twitter Replacing Rails? So?
- Engine Yard Cloud Backups Generating Zero Length Backups
- Our Rails Rumble Entry - StillAlive.com
- Renaming a controller and redirection in Rails 3
- Updating RailsPlugins.org to Rails 3 - Part 1
- A new protocol for social interaction
- What is a distributed social network?
- Bundler and Public Git Sources
- Getting Heroku, memcached and Rails 3 working
- Why Bundler?
- Rails Commit Access
- Introducing TellThemWhen
- rake RSpec & Cucumber uninitialized constant Rails::Boot::Bundler
- This Relationship is Worth Nothing
- Thank YOU...
- Inline Attachments for ActionMailer
- Upgrading RailsPlugins.org to Rails 3 - Part 1
- Stripping dollar signs and commas from a string
- Getting Rails 3 Edge with jQuery, RSpec and Cucumber using RVM
- Action Mailer, go Proc thyself
- The Real News Donation Drive
- ActionMailer ScreenCast and Article
- Installing RSpec for Rails 3
- I am speaking at RailsConf 2010
- Rails 3 Session Secret and Session Store
- If you're lazy and you know it write your specs!
- Bundler - uninitialized constant ActionController
- Bundle Me Some Sanity
- How to use Mail / ActionMailer 3 with GMail SMTP
- Put your mailer where the action is!
- Why Force a Choice?
- How to make an RSS feed in Rails
- Rails 3 Routing with Rack
- Bundle me some Rails
- Helping out in Haiti
- Watch your self
- Is Rails 3.0 a Game Changer?
- Where did the scripts go?
- validates :rails_3, :awesome => true
- New Rails Version 3.0 Guides Online
- New ActionMailer API in Rails 3.0
- Mail gem version 2 released
- How to rename a Rails 3 Application
- Rails 3.0 Examples
- November 2009 (1)
- October 2009 (2)
- September 2009 (2)
- August 2009 (0)
- July 2009 (1)
- June 2009 (0)
- May 2009 (1)
- April 2009 (0)
- March 2009 (0)
- February 2009 (0)
- January 2009 (2)
- December 2008 (0)
- November 2008 (5)
- October 2008 (0)
- September 2008 (1)
- August 2008 (0)
- July 2008 (2)
- June 2008 (13)
- May 2008 (7)
- April 2008 (18)
- March 2008 (8)
- February 2008 (5)
- January 2008 (7)
- December 2007 (20)
- November 2007 (22)