2008-11-23 11:41:42 +0000
Sometimes you will need to get a professional to log into your system to help you out. You should watch what they do, and this is the easiest way I know.
I needed to get someone from a hardware company to log into one of our phone servers to help debug a problem, but I wasn’t just about to give them full carte blanche access to my server. Especially as it is behind a firewall.
I trust these guys somewhat, I mean, if they screw up, no more customer and hello to bad PR… but at the same time, you should always watch.
So, I went hunting around, and Screen is the best answer.
Get them to log into your system and type:
$ screen -S support
Then, from your shell:
$ screen -x support
And bam, you are both sharing the same screen.
Nice and simple.
Of course, this isn’t fool proof, and it only really lets you follow what the other guy is doing. But it is a hell of a lot better than sitting there blind listening on the phone to a few hundred key strokes wondering ‘what is he up to?’
- Rails Security Alert
- Encrypting Another Partition Using FileVault 2 on OSX Lion
- Installing Home Folder on Second Drive on OSX Lion
- undefined local variable or method `version_requirements'
- A New World of Resources
- Rails Static Pages
- Twitter Replacing Rails? So?
- Engine Yard Cloud Backups Generating Zero Length Backups
- Our Rails Rumble Entry - StillAlive.com
- Renaming a controller and redirection in Rails 3
- Updating RailsPlugins.org to Rails 3 - Part 1
- A new protocol for social interaction
- What is a distributed social network?
- Bundler and Public Git Sources
- Getting Heroku, memcached and Rails 3 working
- Why Bundler?
- Rails Commit Access
- Introducing TellThemWhen
- rake RSpec & Cucumber uninitialized constant Rails::Boot::Bundler
- This Relationship is Worth Nothing
- Thank YOU...
- Inline Attachments for ActionMailer
- Upgrading RailsPlugins.org to Rails 3 - Part 1
- Stripping dollar signs and commas from a string
- Getting Rails 3 Edge with jQuery, RSpec and Cucumber using RVM
- Action Mailer, go Proc thyself
- The Real News Donation Drive
- ActionMailer ScreenCast and Article
- Installing RSpec for Rails 3
- I am speaking at RailsConf 2010
- Rails 3 Session Secret and Session Store
- If you're lazy and you know it write your specs!
- Bundler - uninitialized constant ActionController
- Bundle Me Some Sanity
- How to use Mail / ActionMailer 3 with GMail SMTP
- Put your mailer where the action is!
- Why Force a Choice?
- How to make an RSS feed in Rails
- Rails 3 Routing with Rack
- Bundle me some Rails
- Helping out in Haiti
- Watch your self
- Is Rails 3.0 a Game Changer?
- Where did the scripts go?
- validates :rails_3, :awesome => true
- New Rails Version 3.0 Guides Online
- New ActionMailer API in Rails 3.0
- Mail gem version 2 released
- How to rename a Rails 3 Application
- Rails 3.0 Examples
- November 2009 (1)
- October 2009 (2)
- September 2009 (2)
- August 2009 (0)
- July 2009 (1)
- June 2009 (0)
- May 2009 (1)
- April 2009 (0)
- March 2009 (0)
- February 2009 (0)
- January 2009 (2)
- December 2008 (0)
- November 2008 (5)
- October 2008 (0)
- September 2008 (1)
- August 2008 (0)
- July 2008 (2)
- June 2008 (13)
- May 2008 (7)
- April 2008 (18)
- March 2008 (8)
- February 2008 (5)
- January 2008 (7)
- December 2007 (20)
- November 2007 (22)